Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My personal advice for young people getting into the "goth look"

Honestly the Goth look or many other "alternative" looks just don't look good on many people because they think they have to go overboard on the "mallrat" look. Stop "overdoing" and poorly applying makeup, stop it with the mismatched armwarmers, too many chains, too many cliche band tees, and stop trying so hard to "shock". In my opinion go for the "aesthetic" if you genuinely want to pull it off well and tastefully. That's just my opinion and I think "Goth" encompasses a vaiety of ideals and looks (believe it or not) and I have an open mind about it, but I'm just irritated by the people who take themselves way too seriously, label themselves far too often, try to hard when it comes to fashion, and generally don't pull off the look well because of their own attitude. This mainly refers to babybats but I got past those years, have learned from it, am guilty of it years ago, and have grown into my own skin per se. Don't get me wrong I don't hate kindergoths/babybats but they need some "guidance" and steering in the right direction when it comes to their attitudes about life or fashion. I guess that's most teenagers in a sense no matter what their "affiliations" are. But I just disdain the mallrat look paired with the nasty attitudes. I know I sound completely judgmental and I'm not trying to be but my point is that the Goth look should probably be more tasteful, perhaps more aesthetic oriented, and less chains, cliche anarchy signs and symbols, less mismatched incorrectly done arm warmers, less cliche band tees, no overdone and distasteful makeup, and tone down the tripp pants with everything else going on. Don't get me wrong I was guilty of this at like age 12-13 but I learned that with a simple black tee, maybe some tasteful tripps (depending on the occasion), better simplistic black makeup, perhaps minimal necklaces and bracelets, and just an overall tasteful approach to the Goth look can do wonders for someone that's into that stuff. Again I don't mean to sound rigid or judgmental but I just think babybats need to be steered in a better direction and given some advice, no offense to anyone and it's cool to habe your own style your'e comfortable in but I'm referring to the "overdone"/amateur looking stuff. But if your'e comfortable with that look then who is to say "Don't do it" if you like it go right ahead, this is just my personal advice from experience/ trial and error over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment